The flipped classroom has been defined as a pedagogical model in which the typical lecture and homework elements of a course are reversed. Short video lectures are viewed by students at home before the class session, while in-class time is devoted to hands-on exercises, projects, or discussions.
Flipped (upside down) classrooms focus on active learning and student engagement giving the instructor a better opportunity to deal with mixed levels, student difficulties, and differentiated learning styles during the in-class time.
By the end of this course, participants will have a full understanding of this new method and be able to confidently implement a "Flipped Classroom" lesson.
Day 1: Course introduction & intro to the flipped classroom
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities.
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensembke building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations
- Understanding what the Flipped Classroom is and looking at some Flipped Classrooms in detail
- Establishing ways in which the Flipped Classroom can be implemented
- Brainstorming your own Flipped Classroom project
- Presentations of the participants' schools.
Day 2: Creating material
- Building 'lectures' for the Flipped Classroom
- Understanding how to create videos for students and where to upload and store them
- Explore other Flipped Classroom teaching methods through blogs, messenger and other social media platforms.
Day 3: Group work
- Understanding how to manage group work.
- Consulting with students and groups.
- Creating rubrics and students portfolios.
Day 4: Lesson plans
- Creating a detailed Flipped Classroom lesson plan.
Day 5: Brainstorm
- Finishing up the Flipped Classroom lesson plan and assessment rubric.
- Brainstorming cross-curricular or school wide Flipped Classroom learning in your school.
Day 6: Course closure & cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion.
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.